OUR SPORTS WORLD
1. So maybe there’s something to all the Cleveland hype after all. The Browns showed just how dangerous they can be on offense. Nick Chubb (165 yards, 3 TDs,) Baker Mayfield (20-of-30 passing, 342 yards,) and the underrated Jarvis Landry (8 catches, 167 yards) were fantastic against a traditionally tough Baltimore defense.
2. The Ravens have given up 74 points and 1,033 yards in two weeks.
3. Why isn’t Todd Gurley more involved in the Rams offense? If his knee is a problem or if the Rams want to limit his use, I understand. But I also wouldn’t have given him $45M in guaranteed money either.
4. If the Rams are going to lean on Jared Goff, he needs to do better than three interceptions, a lost fumble, and two missed open receivers for sure touchdowns. I don’t know what I think about Goff as a quarterback. And I’m not sure what the Rams think either.
5. Tampa Bay's Shaq Barrett might be the best defensive player in the NFL not named Mack, Donald, or Watt.
6. The Bucs' 55 point effort was the highest in franchise history. They are the last NFL franchise to score 50+ points in a game.
7. Buffalo held the Patriots to just 224 yards of offense and held Tom Brady' to a 45.9 passer rating, the sixth lowest of his career. They held Patriots to three straight three-and-out possessions in the 4th quarter when the game was in doubt. A great performance by the Bills defense.
8. What wasn’t so great was the Bills offense and Josh Allen in particular. Allen was 5/17 for 60 yards with two interceptions in the first half and was befuddled by the Patriots defense. Allen is young and has plenty of talent, but needs to study more film and learn to slide...
9. Tom Brady is 31-3 lifetime against the Buffalo Bills including a 16-2 record in Orchid Park. Both numbers are the most by any player against any one team in NFL history.
10. Speaking of cheap hits, Vontaze Burfict blowing kisses to the Colts fans after getting ejected for this hit was par for the course for him. In seven seasons with Cincinnati, Burfict received 13 suspensions and fines totaling $4M. And the Raiders actually made this guy a defensive captain. He will be suspended for the rest of the season. Doesn't he know Jack Doyle's family is watching? Doesn't Burfict realize his family is watching? I think it's time he and Antonio Brown go join the XFL and just go away.
11. Better catch in the Carolina/Houston game: Christian McCaffery’s juggling act or this official after Joey Slye’s 55 yard field goal?
12, Only in Detroit. Why did Kerryon Johnson extend the ball when he was that far from the goal line? And why wasn’t the play called down? After all the poor calls in the last few weeks, I think the officials won't call a play dead until the ball stops moving like in golf.
13. Patrick Mahomes to Travis Kelse to LeSean McCoy. I remember calling that play before. I had to count to five, turn in front of Mr. Trejo’s car, and then pitch it to my buddy Chris as he ran by...
14. Congratulations to Frank Gore and Larry Fitzgerald for reaching those milestones. When your name is along side with Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and Jerry Rice in the record books, Canton will reserve a space for you. I’ve always had my reservations about Gore, but I will happily change my thoughts. His longevity should and will be rewarded.
15. The legend of Gardner Minshew II continues. He isn’t the fastest or strongest and certainly not one of the best quarterbacks right now. But he’s done the impossible, he’s made Jacksonville fun to watch.