OUR SPORTS WORLD
1. BEGIN RANT
I don’t know what the Chargers need to do anymore. They’ve changed coaches, general managers, even locations. And still, they continue to find new ways to lose games. Nothing short of an exorcism will cure this team of their ails.
Dean Spanos, you were never born great, nor have you done anything when greatness was thrust upon you. So for the good of the NFL and for football fans everywhere, sell the team. It’s been clear that you knew very little during your time in San Diego and nothing has changed in Los Angeles. There’s enough ineptitude in this world these days, don’t you think you’ve added enough of your share?
2. I feel sorry that Philip Rivers is going to be remembered as another great that couldn’t win a ring. I know that he’s not everyone cup of tea, but he deserves better. Maybe he’ll get a chance somewhere else next season.
3. In all the discussions about who the best teams in the AFC are, I think a lot of people forgot about the Indianapolis Colts. They’ve beaten the Chiefs and Texans in consecutive weeks. “Game manager” Jacoby Brissett was 26-of-39 for 326 yards and 4 touchdowns. And once again, their defense led the way. Gotta love the new old school teams winning.
4. Remember when Eric Ebron was cut by the Lions because he couldn’t hang on to the ball? What a difference a change of scenery makes. Either that or he had to wash the Detroit off of himself.
5. I don’t think there’s too many people who’d consider the 5-1 Buffalo Bills as the second best team in the AFC, but with that defense, they’ve got a fighter’s chance.
6. Not surprisingly, the Patriots were the most hated team in the NFL according to accumulated Twitter data. The next two? Green Bay and Seattle. Really? Any poll of the most hated teams that didn't have Cowboys or the Raiders among the top three is invalid.
7. The San Francisco/Washington quagmire game took just two hours and 36 minutes to play. The two teams combined for 21 pass completions and called 65 running plays. I guess that’s one way to stop all these crazy pass interference calls.
8. By the way, how fun did that game took seeing grown men slide along the ground in the rain like that? It made me think of summer days on my lawn.
9. Derek Carr has fumbled the ball out of the end-zone for a touchback twice in two years. Once is an accident, two makes it a trend.
10. Green Bay has had five home games in their first seven games. Compare that to what the Raiders and had in their last seven weeks: road game in Minnesota, road game in Indianapolis, home game in London vs Bears, Bye Week, road game in Green Bay, road game in Houston. I’m not calling it a conspiracy the way many in Raider Nation do, but this is a glaring mistake.
11. Kyle Shanahan gave game ball to Mike Shanahan. He said the best thing about coaching in Washington was working with his dad. The worst thing: everything else. That speaks volumes about Daniel Synder's awful reign as Redskins owner.
12. Lamar Jackson = Michael Vick
13. I can understand losing your cool in the heat of battle. But Devonta Freeman, ever hear the saying, "Don’t fight out of your weight class?"